WATERHOUSE

Printed from: 156 Squadron
Topic URL: http://localhost/156Squadron/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=162
Printed on: 24/06/2019

Topic:

Topic author: dhwestwood
Subject: WATERHOUSE
Posted on: 18/02/2010 10:19:13
I AM ENQ INFO ON FO VICTOR WATERHOUSE 156 SQN KILLED 1944 RECIEVED A FLYING MEDAL WITH DIAGNOL STRIPED RIBBON

douglas westweood

Replies:

Reply author: Web Owner
Replied on: 18/02/2010 14:06:45
No need to shout!

A Crew search from the front page would have turned up the following result:

http://www.156squadron.com/view_aircrew.asp?pCrewid=1544

The medal is the Distinguished Flying Cross.

What is your interest in this person?

Regards

Robin

Reply author: dhwestwood
Replied on: 19/02/2010 08:01:54
quote:
Originally posted by Web Owner

No need to shout!

A Crew search from the front page would have turned up the following result:

http://www.156squadron.com/view_aircrew.asp?pCrewid=1544

The medal is the Distinguished Flying Cross.

What is your interest in this person?

Regards

Robin

douglas westweood

Reply author: Jonny
Replied on: 19/02/2010 12:23:30
I believe Victor's DFC was for sale in York recently.

Reply author: Wayne
Replied on: 01/03/2010 13:23:28
Douglas, I have a particular interset in this Airman and crew, could you please let me know of your interest.

I have been trying to locate a photo of him along with a photo of Underwood of the same crew.

Thanks Wayne

Replied on: 30/03/2010 07:33:24
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne

Douglas, I have a particular interset in this Airman and crew, could you please let me know of your interest.

I have been trying to locate a photo of him along with a photo of Underwood of the same crew.

Thanks Wayne

douglas westweood

Replied on: 30/03/2010 07:42:52
Wayne My interst is that this man was my Father in laws half brother we have a photo of his son holding his DFC He appears to have voluntered for this fatal mission He married in early 1942 and hid wife came from Whitely Bay I am trying to contact the relatives Why did the plane come down? Do you want a cpoy of the photo?

douglas westweood

Replied on: 30/03/2010 07:47:07
Jonny Thats interesting can you tell me more?

douglas westweood

Replied on: 01/04/2010 10:18:19
Douglas,

Not really. Someone flagged it up to me. I recall that it was a single DFC possibly engraved on the rear to Victor Waterhouse. This was a good 9 - 12 months ago though.

Rgds

Jonny

Reply author: Web Owner
Replied on: 07/04/2010 05:08:21
Douglas

See http://www.156squadron.com/display_crews.asp?pCrewid=1544

which displays all of of Waterhouse's missions, and compare this to his usual pilot MANSFIELD:

http://www.156squadron.com/display_crews.asp?pCrewid=1436

You will notice that he (Waterhouse) was not available for Mansfield's mission on 16/12 (On Leave?) and Mansfield did not fly again until 2/1/44. So Waterhouse was probably filling in for MOON, Bond's normal crew member who was seriously injured on 20/12/43.

See also http://www.156squadron.com/display_bond.asp
which gives more details on the loss of this aircraft.

The info is there, you just need to follow the links.
Robin

Reply author: Waterhouse
Replied on: 23/08/2010 17:10:45
I'm Victor's grandaughter & know of the reason why he flew on this fatal mission and that he was shot down on his birthday 1st Jan over Belguim If anyone has knowledge as to the where abouts of his medal I would be extremely grateful if they could contact me. As it belongs to my father (the boy in the photo holding the medal) He is named after his father. It is of gr8 sentimental value. Plz contact me as it would mean the world to my father to have the medal back. It was stolen and went astray 18 yrs ago. Whoever bought it I know did so without knowledge as to why it was for sale. So plz contact me I just want the medal back where it belongs with my dad & then passed to my brother as it was meant to be. I would be happy to fill everyone in on the history also. I also hv the photo of my dad holding his fathers DFC. Kind regards Emma.

Reply author: watchboy13
Replied on: 24/08/2010 02:02:00
Hello Emma.
I think i can help you.Please drop me a line on 0780 4445177 .

Thanks Derek.

d k waltonberg

Replied on: 27/09/2010 08:18:26
quote:
Originally posted by Waterhouse

I'm Victor's grandaughter & know of the reason why he flew on this fatal mission and that he was shot down on his birthday 1st Jan over Belguim If anyone has knowledge as to the where abouts of his medal I would be extremely grateful if they could contact me. As it belongs to my father (the boy in the photo holding the medal) He is named after his father. It is of gr8 sentimental value. Plz contact me as it would mean the world to my father to have the medal back. It was stolen and went astray 18 yrs ago. Whoever bought it I know did so without knowledge as to why it was for sale. So plz contact me I just want the medal back where it belongs with my dad & then passed to my brother as it was meant to be. I would be happy to fill everyone in on the history also. I also hv the photo of my dad holding his fathers DFC. Kind regards Emma.

douglas westweood

Replied on: 27/09/2010 08:34:54
Emma What happened to Aircraft ND384 on the night of 1/2 January 1944 is discussed at the bottom of page 4 of CAN YOU HELP FORUM It is concluded it was shot down by a german nightfighter ace named Miester near Estinnes du Val in Belguim (near Mons) and Victor is buried with the rest of the crew in a cemetery to the north in grave NO. 25 My father in law was victors older half brother from the first marriage and we know the history of the family Please contact us

douglas westweood
[/quote]

douglas westweood

Replied on: 29/09/2010 13:07:42
Hello again,

If at anytime along the way anyone comes across a photograph of Victor Waterhouse could you please let me know.

As many people on this site know I am trying to locate photos of all the lost crew members on this mission.

For those who dont already know the pilot of this aircraft was my late Grandfathers best friend and I was trying to gather photos of all the crew for my Grandfather, I managed to get five of the crew but V.Waterhouse and Underwood have proved very difficult to locate.

Unfortunately my granfather sadly passed away earlier this year so I am more determined than ever to bring this crew together one more time.

Many thanks

Wayne

Replied on: 30/09/2010 09:36:54
Wayne,

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I know how hard you have worked to find the facts/pics of the Bond crew, so wish you continued luck in your quest.

Rgds

Jonny

Replied on: 03/10/2010 02:16:07
Jonny,

Thankyou very much for your kind words.

Wayne

Reply author: S_Hodgkinson
Replied on: 26/11/2010 10:47:01
Victor was my husbands uncle. I have a copy of a newspaper cutting recording his death. It includes a photograph of Victor.

Regards
Susan

quote:
Originally posted by Wayne

Hello again,

If at anytime along the way anyone comes across a photograph of Victor Waterhouse could you please let me know.

As many people on this site know I am trying to locate photos of all the lost crew members on this mission.

For those who dont already know the pilot of this aircraft was my late Grandfathers best friend and I was trying to gather photos of all the crew for my Grandfather, I managed to get five of the crew but V.Waterhouse and Underwood have proved very difficult to locate.

Unfortunately my granfather sadly passed away earlier this year so I am more determined than ever to bring this crew together one more time.

Many thanks

Wayne

Replied on: 08/12/2010 10:32:26
Hello Susan, and thankyou for your reply.

As you probably know my late grandfathers best mate G.P.R. Bond was the pilot of this crew.

If possible could and would you mind e-mailing me a copy of the newspaper cutting ? My aim is to gather photos of all seven crew members.

I am hoping along with my wife and parents to visit the cemetary next year and also to lay some flowers on these brave men`s graves.

I also know that local school children in Belgium do this every year as rememberance so I would like to somehow figure out a way of capturing photo`s in a weather proof form to also lay at each crew members headstone. I feel it is alot more personal if you can put a face to a name.

My e-mail address is wayne.welford@hotmail.co.uk

Once again many many thanks for your time and if there is anything I could try to help you with regarding this crew please let me know.

Regards

Wayne

156 Squadron : http://localhost/156Squadron/forum/

© Robin Riley

Close Window